Made from scrap

Made from scrap
All's well

Followers

Total Pageviews

Wednesday 28 March 2012

Crochet Rock Chicks!

I have been crocheting more Easter Eggs to hide fill my basket.  Then imagine my surprise when I looked more closely and saw I was lucky enough to have a hatchling!
Well, well, well.  I was delighted with this surprise.  Never can have too many chicks.  A little later in the day, I looked again and imagine my astonishment. . .
Rock Chicks!  They are going to fit in just fine in this house.
This little fella is sporting a fine Mohawk;
This little fella is more of a Hippy Chick.
I am secretly hoping for more hatchlings of the cool and groovy kind.

They were great fun to make using the 'Easter Egg Pattern'.  Then before they were stuffed I attached two 6mm 'Toy' eyes.  The beak was a little bit tricky:

The Beak:
I used DK worsted weight Orange yarn and a 1.75 mm hook.
4ch, draw a loop through the second loop from the hook then the 3rd loop from the hook and the 4th loop from the hook, you should have 4 loops on the hook pull yarn through all of the loops and fasten off.  I sewed the end in and firmed up the beaky shape with the stitches.

The Wings:
Pick up 3 double crochet in the position you would like the wing to be in.  In the first DC work 1dc and 1tr, in the 2nd dc work 3 tr, in the 3rd dc work 1tr and 1dc.

The Hair:
I used a fine crochet hook to draw short strands through the head into position and fasten off with a slip stitch.  I snipped to the required length and separated the strands of yarn.
Groovy Chicks



14 comments:

  1. Theese are just sooo Cute! Thank you very much for sharing this pattern for them!
    Kajsa

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're just full of fun Easter/Spring bits aren't you :)
    ~Lacey

    ReplyDelete
  3. How utterly fun to see that one of your Easter Eggs hatched in the basket when you weren't looking! You're such a character! Can't wait for you to see what I bought yesterday at Fabric Depot.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute!! Love them. I so haven't been on time for making Easter items this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them, their hairstyles are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your chicks rock! Are you going to hatch any punk chicks?

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so sweet ^_^ thank you for the comment on my Rocky valley post, I'm in Cornwall.I've just discovered your blog too and very lovely it is too ^_^
    All the best to you
    Steph
    X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your rocking' chicks! Yes make lots, I don't think you can have to many!
    xoRobin❤

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh, I love seeing your chicks that hatched! What fun... and thanks for sharing their pattern! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a surprise your eggs hatching into great rock chicks they are so cute , so good of you to share the pattern also thankyou for a great post

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how cute they are! The brown ones below, too! Too great to put them away after Easter :-)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy reading all of the feedback from your comments. Thank you for taking the time to stop by and sharing your thoughts. Sadly I have found it necessary to enable word verification, something I was trying to avoid...but I am receiving an unmanageable deluge of Spam! We don't want that do we? xxx :)