Made from scrap

Made from scrap
All's well

Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday 25 March 2012

Crochet Easter Eggs and a Crochet 'Little Red Hen'

I have been busy making Crochet Easter Eggs.  They are healthier than Chocolate Eggs right?  I have my self made basket to hide decorate and what better to fill it with?  I have put all of my eggs in one basket and rather pretty they look too.  I was aiming for a dozen.  There is life in the old dog yet and the night is young, I think, this hour forward has thrown me.  I can't work out weather I am going to bed early or late and if I am waking up early or late, it hurts my head to think about it.  I will probably lie awake trying to fathom it all out.  I have plans to have a crowded Easter Basket of Crochet Easter Goodies.  I asked Euan what he thought about my Crochet Egg Creations and he answered immediately and emphatically with one word 'Weird'!  Charming, it is a good job they make me happy.  There are many 'Easter Egg' patterns out there, I did not find any in UK Crochet Terms.  I chose this one, as the pattern is very quick and easy, here is the pattern I used in UK Crochet Terms:  I am hoping to use my eggs for an Easter Egg Hunt and will exchange them for 'Mini Chocolate Eggs', we do get rather swamped with chocolate at Easter.

Crochet Easter Egg Pattern



Materials:
4mm Crochet Hook
DK Yarn,
I used Stylecraft Special DK (Left overs from my Attic 24 'Lucy Pack' the colours are so cheerful) 
Soft Toy Filling
Stitch Marker 
Darning Needle
Notes: Pattern is worked in the round.   Using a stitch marker will help to keep your place

Ch 2
Rnd 1 – work 8dc in 2nd ch from hk. (8)

Rnd 2 – (dc in next 3, 2dc in next) around. (10)

Rnd 3 – (dc in next 4, dc in next) around. (12)

Rnd 4 – (dc in next 2, 2dc in next) around. (16)

Rnd 5 – (dc in next 3, 2dc in next) around. (20)

Rnd 6 – dc in each st around. (20)

Rnd 7 – (dc in next 4, 2dc in next) around. (24)

Rnd 8 – dc in each st around. (24)

Rnd 9 – (dc in next 10, dc2tog) around. (22)

Rnd 10 – (dc in next 9, dc2tog) around. (20)

Rnd 11 – (dc in next 8, dc2tog) around. (18)

Rnd 12 – (dc in next, dc2tog) around. (12)

Stuff your 'Egg' and squish it into an egg shape.

Rnd 13 – sc2tog around to close the hole at the bottom of the egg. 


I have been hankering after a crochet chicken for ages.   You can never have too many chickens.  I am ridiculously pleased with this little creation:
She is a perfect little Egg Cosy and would also sit nicely over a 'Cream Egg'.  She has a little tail and wings and everything a chicken should have.  Good old Crochet 'Granny' stitch gives her an almost feathery looking texture.  I would like to have three crochet 'Little Red Hens', Poppy, Daisy and Rose.  I will work on writing out the pattern and hopefully the world can be populated with more Crochet Chickens.  Photographing sunbathing chickens (real ones) has proved to be easier said than done, but I won't give up trying.  Every time I go out with the camera they like to sprint towards me and investigate, so I disturb them.  I have high ambition, to crochet more eggs and chickens and to photograph a chicken sunbathing. . . . . I hope you achieve your goals this week too.  XXX

22 comments:

  1. I made a lemon cake today and thought of you. Love the eggs and the basket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kashi, did you save me some? I am rather partial to a slice of Lemon Cake. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely eggs, and I love yor little chicken, so cute! Great use of your basket too, they look really good in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire they almost hide my basket well, don't they? x

      Delete
  4. Hi Lucy, yes, we're doing the same things today.. crocheting colorful Easter eggs! Yours look great in your basket! It would looks neat if you put some straw in the basket to put the eggs on.. I used some white paper scrunchy stuff under mine. Love your adorable little chickie! You should show it to the girls. :-) Do you think we should have a Florida crochet "retreat" like Garden Bell Kate and Pammy Sue did? ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florida sounds good to me. . . when do you want me there? I may just steal some straw from the chickens, obviously clean stuff out of the bag! Maybe a nest of Alpaca fleece would be upmarket?

      Delete
  5. Hi Lucy! I met you through Teresa Kasner's great blog, and am enjoying visiting you. I just made my first egg today using the pattern I found on Teresa's site. I was reared on Flying Feather Chicken Farm in Andover, MA, and on a poultry farm in MO. My family used to give my parents chicken oriented decorations/toys and I rather enjoy collecting some myself. Your little hen is charming. Thanks for sharing! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, any friend of Teresa's is a friend of mine :) Thank you for stopping by. I would like tohave more land so I could have more chickens, instead of the 'Crazy Cat Lady' I have dreams of being a 'Crazy Chicken Lady'. One day I would like a rooster. I am hoping to type up the pattern for the chicken tonight, but it is proving tricky, it is a very easy make I just make it sound complicated! :) x

      Delete
  6. What a great use for your clever basket! Looks good!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, flattery will get you everywhere. I must admit it did feel like a clever basket, I practically put blood, sweat and tears into making it! :) x

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. There is only one thing that is cuter than a 'Little Crochet Red Hen' and that is more of em! :) x

      Delete
  8. The eggs look great in your basket! I love the little crocheted hen...she is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank I am a bit too pleased with her but then I am rather 'chicken' obsessed these days :) x

      Delete
  9. Yes, I agree with your logic, crochet eggs are far better for you than chocolate. Also whilst you're crafting I always find I eat less naughty things as my hands are far to busy!!!

    Fleur xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fleur, sadly I am brilliant at multi-tasking and pride myself on the tasks I can do while eating at the same time. On the down side those eggs do not taste good! ;) x

      Delete
  10. Those eggs do look lovely and the chicken is just brilliant!
    Oh you mentioned creme eggs and there are some in the wardrobe..............
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carol, you Cream Eggs can come out of the closet it is nearly Easter, I have not bought any yet, because I eat them before Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the little red chicken,very feathery! Your basket looks wonderful with something in it! Perhaps a few more? no excuses - the weather's perfect for sitting outsite crocheting eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah I love your easter eggs and little red chicken - so cute! No calories in those easter eggs! xx

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy reading all of the feedback from your comments. Thank you for taking the time to stop by and sharing your thoughts. Sadly I have found it necessary to enable word verification, something I was trying to avoid...but I am receiving an unmanageable deluge of Spam! We don't want that do we? xxx :)